Best Oil Filter Wrench For Stuck Filter: Recommended for 2021
Oil filters work to clean impurities like dirt and debris in the engine oil. As the filter tends to collect the waste constantly , it is important to change your oil filters regularly.
But being exposed to constant heat and cold temperature make the oil filter tight, making it difficult to remove from hand. But investing in a good quality oil filter wrench allows you to remove the oil filter in an easy and efficient manner.
In this article, we have reviewed some of the best oil filter wrench available in the market. Reading through the review will allow you to select the best oil filter wrench for your vehicle.
8 Best Oil Filter Wrench For Stuck Filter
1. Motivx Tools Small Adjustable Oil Filter
The number one product on our list is by Motivx tools oil filter wrench. This product is designed to remove conventional spin-off style oil filters measuring between 2.5-3.25 inches. Additionally, the wrench comes with a 0.50” captured spring in comparison to the inefficient .020-inch spring on a lot of wrenches.
In order to provide a stronger grip, the manufacturer has provided tooth style design on the contact surface. Moreover, the jaw exhibits a strong nickel-plated 4130 Chromoly steel, which is integrated into a thick ⅜-inches steel top plate to provide maximum resilience.
When it comes to the quality of the product, you will not be disappointed; this product is by a family-owned American company, which specializes in building various kinds of tools.
Over the years, the brand has successfully launched tons of valuable products in the market. To add to the reliability of the oil filter wrench, the company offers a limited lifetime warranty and consistent and exceptional customer service.
This product can be used in different kinds of vehicles, including trucks, cars, motorcycles, ATVs, etc.
Features of the product:
- It is designed to remove spin-off style oil filters measuring between 2.5-inches and 3.25-inches.
- The product is made solely for removal and not for installation.
- The wrench comes with a more efficient .050-inches captured spring in place of .020” spring.
- The product is built of 4130 Chromoly steel, which is plated with nickel.
- The top plate has a layer of ⅜-inches thick steel.
- The oil filter wrench comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
2. Innovant 3 Jaw Oil Filter Wrench Tool
Next on our list is a versatile wrench by Innovant. For people who are looking for an easy to use oil filter wrench, this product is a must-try. This product allows you to attach to the 3/8-inches extension as well as a ratchet, offering better working abilities.
Designed using strong steel, the steel offers optimum sturdiness to efficiently do its job. Moreover, the compact size of the tool makes it easier to fit in tight spaces.
Simply attach the tool to the socket wrench and put it on the oil filter. The wrench attaches to the filter perfectly, so you do not have to check time and again.
This oil filter wrench offers compatibility with a ratchet that has a diameter of either ½ or 3/8. With this wrench, you can efficiently take off oil filters with a diameter between 2 ¾ inches and 4 inches.
Features of the product:
- It can be used with a ratchet featuring a diameter of 3/8 or ½.
- It can be used to take an oil filter that has a dimension ranging from 2 ¾ and 4 inches.
- The tool is designed using sturdy steel material.
- The wrench can be used on filters up to 116 mm or 4 9/16”.
3. OEM Tools Adjustable Magnetic Three-Jaw Oil Filter Wrench
This oil filter tool is compatible with most of the standard oil filters and can be used to work on a lot of foreign and domestic passenger vehicles and light trucks. OEM tools work really well for motorcycles, cars, lawnmowers, etc.
Additionally, the oil filter wrench comes with a strong magnetic base attachment that offers a strong grip on different kinds of oil filters.
The addition of a magnet allows the wrench to hold the oil filter more securely when taking off the oil filters.
Moreover, the adjustable oil filter wrench can fit perfectly on oil filters with diameters ranging from 2.4-inches to 3.6-inches. And, the filter wrench can be adjusted between 3/8-inches and ½ inches drive adapter. OEM has three-legged designed features of spring-loaded jaws.
They work to provide a stronger grip as opposed to the average claw wrench. Working three-prong oil filter wrench will mitigate the risk of slippage.
Another great thing about this product is its convenient design. Its compact size and lightweight design make it easier to be used in all kinds of engines.
Features of the product:
- It adjusts in order to fit conventional oil filters on various domestic and foreign vehicles.
- The oil filter wrench has a 3/8 inch to ½ inch drive adapter, which can be used as a ratchet oil filter wrench.
- The product has a compact and lightweight design, making it easier to use.
- It is integrated with heavy-duty spring-loaded jaws, offering better grip and reducing slippage.
- The wrench is added with a magnetic base attachment that adds to the strong grip of the product.
4. WorkPro Oil Filter Wrench Set of Three
WorkPro has extended a truly versatile oil filter wrench that can be easily used in the various vehicles. It is a 65 mm oil filter wrench that is compatible with Lexus and Scion Camry, Toyota, Tacoma, RAV4, Tundra, Sienna, Highlander, etc.
In this set, you will find a 3/8-inches ratcheting wrench, 65mm oil filter wrench, a 3/8-inches ratcheting wrench, and lastly, a 6-inches extension bar for better hold in tight spacing.
Additionally, the strong build of the product will also be impressive to you. The oil filter wrench is built using top-graded ADC12 aluminum, allowing it to bear the pressure, especially in tight space, without cracking. Moreover, the wrench filter features a 14 flutes design that aims to offer secure hold without binding.
There are six slots on the bottle edge, offering compatibility with the Toyota oil filter cap and facilitating easy removal of the same. Working with the WorkPro oil filter wrench is extremely easy due to its compact size and strong grip.
Features of the product:
- The oil filter wrench offers optimum versatility as it works with Toyota, RAV4, Lexus and Scion Camry, Highlander, Tundra, Sienna, Tacoma, etc.
- The package includes a 3/8-inches ratcheting wrench, 65 mm oil filter wrench, and a six-inch extra extension bar.
- The wrench is designed using ADC12 aluminum, which is capable of bearing pressure without cracking.
- The tool has a 14 flute design for a stronger grip without worrying about binding.
5. JDMON Universal Adjustable Oil Filter Wrench
This adjustable oil filter wrench allows you to work with different kinds of oil filters. It is designed to work with an oil filter with a diameter ranging between 2-1/2 inches and 4.5 inches. Moreover, it works well with a 7/8 inch wrench 3/8 and ½ inch square drive ratchet. This compatibility allows the wrench to work with a wide range of vehicles.
Coming to the quality of the tool, you will not be disappointed. The manufacturer has used 45 carbon steel offers more strength and durability than many other materials.
Along with resilience, this steel material is also easy to use, making your task more comfortable. And, you do not have to worry about damaging your car or injure yourself. The three-jaw design offers protection from drops and slips with the utmost ease.
Since more torque is added, the claw tends to fit strongly. On top of everything, the manufacturer offers one year of warranty with this oil filter wrench. Furthermore, you will also get lifetime technical support.
Features of the product:
- The wrench is designed to fit on an oil filter with diameters ranging between 2-1/2 and 4.5 inches.
- It features a three-jaw design that offers a stronger grip.
- The brand offers one year of warranty along with a lifetime of technical support.
6. Moker Oil Filter Wrench Tool
This Cr-V steel cup is designed to offer heavy-duty performance. It works efficiently on Scion, Lexus, and Toyota that have a 4-cylinder engine of 1.8 liters and uses the advanced cartridge style oil filter system.
Using this tool, you can easily remove the oil filter cap from the vehicles. However, this wrench is not compatible with a spin-on oil filter featuring 14 flutes.
It is a simple and effective tool that has special teeth design that offers a stronger grip on the oil filters. Moreover, the wrench is extremely easy to use, despite its complicated appearance.
When you open it to the wider setting, it becomes easier to use the ratchet driver to place the wrench in the correct position. Therefore, you will not put a lot of effort to get things right.
While the price of this wrench is on the competitive side, the manufacturer has not compromised with the quality of the product.
The oil filter wrench is designed using chrome vanadium steel, which is treated with heat in order to provide more strength as opposed to other materials used in such wrenches.
This has also made the product entirely corrosion and rust-resistant. Lastly, the 100% money-back guarantee offered manufacturer adds to the reliability of the product.
Features of the product:
- Designed for heavy-duty, it works well with oil filters of vehicles like Toyota, Scion, and Lexus that have cartridge style oil filters.
- The product is quite easy to use as it features the comfortable settings
- It is built using chrome vanadium steel, which is treated with heat.
- The product comes with a 100% money back guarantee on its performance.
7. ARES Universal Oil Filter Wrench
ARES has been designed with a wrench to be compatible with a spin-on canister-style oil filter featuring a diameter ranging from 2.5 inches to 3.25 inches.
If you have a cartridge-style filter or chrome-plated filter, then this product is not apt for you. Coming to the built of the oil filter wrench, it is designed using top-graded chrome-molybdenum steel plated with nickel.
Additionally, the top is plated with steel, allowing the product to bear rough work. This product is designed to make it easier for you to take out spin-on style oil filters with its tooth design.
Additionally, there is a thick spring measuring 0.05 inches featuring captured points that will hold the grip on the filters throughout your working time.
ARES is a brand which is reckoned for its top-notch products. Although the brand already has a strong customer base, it has provided performance assured limited lifetime warranty.
Therefore, if you deal with any problems with regards to your oil filter wrench, you can get reliable assistance from customer support and have your product return, replaced, or repaired.
Features of the product:
- It is a 3/8 drive universal oil filter wrench, which works with a spin-on canister style oil filter.
- The oil filter wrench is designed using top-graded chrome-molybdenum steel plated with nickel.
- The strong tooth design accompanied by the 0.05-inch spring works to offer a strong grip on the filter while working.
- The brand offers performance assurance limited lifetime warranty on this product.
8. Boeray Oil Filter Wrench With Universal Handcuff Style Remover Tool
This oil filter wrench is designed to be compatible with oil filter and pipe fitting of diameter 70mm-90mm/2.75”inch-3.54”. The adjustable and lightweight design of the product makes it easier to carry as well as work with it anywhere, anytime.
Additionally, it features four teethed rows in order to provide a better grip when working on the oil filters. This product is especially used in SUV engines, bicycles, motorcycles, etc.
Features of the product:
- The oil filter wrench is designed to fit 70 mm-90 mm/ 2.75-3.54” oil filter and pipe fitting.
- The product is adjustable and lightweight, making it easier to use and carry along.
- It features four rows of teeth to provide a better grip on the filters.
- The wrench has high-quality rubber material on the handle for better grip.
What to look for while buying an oil filter wrench for the stuck filter?
Following are some of the primary factors that you should consider when buying an oil filter wrench:
When buying an oil filter wrench, quality is the paramount factor that you should be considering. Wrenches that are made with low-quality material have a greater risk of getting damaged quicker.
You might end up with a broken wrench while working on the oil filter. A good quality wrench is made from strong material so that it is able to bear the pressure from your hand and is efficiently able to loosen the tight filter.
Oil filters come with different diameters. While some oil filter wrenches can be used on any oil filter, some are specific to certain types of wrenches.
When buying an oil filter wrench, ensure that you buy a product that offers compatibility with different types of oil filters. This is especially useful when you work with vehicles having different oil filters.
When you are working with an oil filter wrench that offers convenience and ease, it becomes easier to change your oil filter.
A good quality oil filter wrench will provide excellent grip, thereby eliminating the worry of slippage. Additionally, it should be able to remove even the tightest oil filter without much effort.
Go for the best oil filter wrench that has a straightforward design, as working with a complicated wrench will only make you exhausted.
- Size Of The Wrench
Oil filter wrenches come in different sizes, and they have various purposes. The larger ones feature longer grips as well as handles. These features help in getting to areas of the oil filter, which is harder to reach.
And if the filter is in a tight space, then the big sized wrench will not be able to work properly. Therefore, you should consider the size and position of the filter when deciding the wrench size.
- Type of Wrench
Oil filter wrenches are available in different sizes in order to cater to various kinds of oil filters. Below are the common types of wrenches that you will find in the market:
1. Socket Wrench
It features a plastic or metal socket-shaped cup and is applied to the bottom of the filter casing. Socket wrench generally encompasses a 3/8-inch ratchet handle; however, it comes in various sizes.
This type of oil filter wrench is great when you have a recessed oil filter or little clearance around your oil filter.
2. Spider Wrench
This type of wrench comes with adjustable gears. The design includes two clamping legs, three geared metal prongs, and twin jaw plates.
It is used with a ratchet driver featuring a diameter of 3/8-inch. Additionally, spider wrenches are available in two forms jaw and claw. These are used on filters that are placed in confined spaces.
Quality pliers are designed using durable steel, feature plastisol-coated handles, and extended dual handles.
The core design of the wrench is adjustable as well as powerful, facilitating easy removal of even the most complex filters. With a tool measuring 3.5/8 inches, you can remove the filter between 2-15/16 and 3-5/8 inches.
4. Chain Loop And Metal Band Wrenches
In appearance, these wrenches look somewhat like nooses. These wrenches come with a handle, which can be used for turning, and a metal strap or chain surrounds the cap. The unique design makes it useful for different types of oil filters.
However, they cannot be used for any other purpose, like socket-style and claw wrenches. Wrenches featuring hinges on its handle are suitable for older vehicles as they assist in reaching complicated places.
How To Use An Oil Filter Wrench For The Stuck Filter?
The casing of the oil filter tends to get tightened when the engine heats up as well as cools down. Between every oil change, the casing gets tight enough that a wrench is needed to take it off.
Oil filter wrenches are affordable and come in different types to suit various kinds of oil filters. Here are few simple steps that you need to know when using oil filters:
- The first step is to place a ramp in front of the front tire of your vehicle. Thereafter, drive your vehicle upon the ramps; turn off the vehicle and your parking brake. Additionally, put a wheel clock behind each rear tire and let the engine cool down for at least one hour.
- Place a drain pan under the oil pan of the vehicle. Using an open-end wrench, remove the drain plug from the engine oil pan. Let the oil properly drain from your engine-oil pan. Once that is done, replace the drain plug and tighten the plug using the same wrench.
- If you are using a strap-style oil filter wrench, then slide the strap over the casing of the oil filter with the back of the handle in a counterclockwise position.
- In the same position, push the handle in order to release the casing from the vehicle’s engine. Thereafter, pull the handle of your wrench clockwise in order to rotate the handle in case there is no room to push the handle.
- In case you are using a socket filter wrench, then push onto the bottom of the filter casing.
- Position the 3/8 ratchet handle so that it can be turned counterclockwise. Push the ratchet’s handle into the socket of the wrench.
- Continue to turn the ratchet until the filter casing becomes loose.
- Spin the loosened casing by hand to take it out from the engine.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best type of oil filter wrench?
Determining the best type of oil filter wrench depends on the various factors, including how tight is the casing of the filter, the size of the oil filter, how much space is around the filter, etc. if the spacing is tight, then a spider or socket style wrench would be ideal. Furthermore, if there is sufficient spacing, pliers or a band wrench will be suitable.
2. Why do you need an oil filter wrench?
As you drive your vehicle, the cap on the filter gets tightened due to exposure to cold and hot temperatures. Additionally, filters also get greasy and dirty, making them tighter and harder to remove.
When you need to change oil, it becomes difficult to remove the filter from your hand, so you have to use an oil filter wrench.
3. How to properly measure an oil filter wrench?
To accurately measure the filter wrench, count how many flutes are there on the cap of the oil filter. Thereafter measure the filter from edge to edge.
You should get the filter wrench, which has the same number of flutes as your oil filter. However, make sure that the cap’s inner diameter is bigger than the oil filter cap.
Choosing the oil filter wrench will make it significantly easier for you to remove the oil filter and change the oil on your vehicle. However, there are tons of options that can leave you perplexed.
This is why it is important to research and be knowledgeable about different kinds of wrenches. This comprehensive guide aims at providing you with all the right information you need to know prior to buying an oil filter wrench.